We had a reading and show at Varnish
Cherry Hood's paintings were there and so was Cherry herself, in from Australia! The show runs until May 25 so, if you're in the San Francisco area, make sure you go to see it. Fuckin amazing!!!! Ben Foster, Jennifer Hall, Penelope Houston and Sean San Jose read. Here's what someone wrote to me about it:
From: "Michaela Cristen Varisto"
To: le_terminator@hotmail.com
Subject: Varnish Reading
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 11:55:21 -0700
To JT LeRoy---
How lucky that I got a chance to come home to S.F. for a visit---after too many rainy months away---in time to attend one of your readings! The atmosphere of the evening left me feeling very warm and smiled upon... as if I had been invited to some secret neighborhood clubhouse meeting... a precious experience only fully appreciated by those who were there beside me. I brought my mom along and while she pored over your books in the corner I daydreamed about buying Cherry Hood's paintings and being comforted by the presence of those watercolor lips on my wall. They'd probably be big enough to cover the earthquake cracks near my ceiling too...
Thank you for letting us hear your new story. It was enthralling to bear witness (so to speak) to such a... definite moment in Oliver's life. It seemed very private... I felt like I was the neigbors they didn't want eavesdropping. I've been trying to decide whether it took place before or after the arrival of Harold. I think I hope it was before, but I'm not sure why. I find that my reactions to your work are emotional to a point that I can't even form words around the feelings I have... I tend not to try to anymore. Just know that I loved it, love you, and believe completely in the utter beauty and honesty that you bring to everything you touch.
With fiercest affection,
Michaela C.V.
From: "Michaela Cristen Varisto"
To: le_terminator@hotmail.com
Subject: Varnish Reading
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 11:55:21 -0700
To JT LeRoy---
How lucky that I got a chance to come home to S.F. for a visit---after too many rainy months away---in time to attend one of your readings! The atmosphere of the evening left me feeling very warm and smiled upon... as if I had been invited to some secret neighborhood clubhouse meeting... a precious experience only fully appreciated by those who were there beside me. I brought my mom along and while she pored over your books in the corner I daydreamed about buying Cherry Hood's paintings and being comforted by the presence of those watercolor lips on my wall. They'd probably be big enough to cover the earthquake cracks near my ceiling too...
Thank you for letting us hear your new story. It was enthralling to bear witness (so to speak) to such a... definite moment in Oliver's life. It seemed very private... I felt like I was the neigbors they didn't want eavesdropping. I've been trying to decide whether it took place before or after the arrival of Harold. I think I hope it was before, but I'm not sure why. I find that my reactions to your work are emotional to a point that I can't even form words around the feelings I have... I tend not to try to anymore. Just know that I loved it, love you, and believe completely in the utter beauty and honesty that you bring to everything you touch.
With fiercest affection,
Michaela C.V.


<< Home