My Own Private Idaho review and my response
Here is an excerpt from a review of the new DVD of My Own Private Idaho. I wrote some liner notes for it and have an audio with Jonathan Caouette and Gus Van Sant.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14608
They conference in Van Sant to ask him questions about the film and to help them remember, which is a good thing, because LeRoy is the audio equivalent to sleeping pills. His feminine voice mumbles and flows like molasses, coming in at about half the volume of Caouette's. Several times I found myself blacking out and wondering what I missed. Connecting the film to the world it depicts is a worthy concept, but the execution falls a bit short here, in an audio track that's akin to a late-night bull session with your drug-addled friends.
Here is my response:
I read your review of 'My Own Private Idaho - Criterion Collection' and...
What you said about my contribution to the audio track wasn't quite fair, as Jonathan was in a studio and I was over the phone, connecting all the callers. And I think it is creatively very cool that Criterion would allow this, with obvious less then stellar audio standards. For me it is a relief to have a laid-back behind the scenes peek that these no-budget non-studio recorded extras provide. That is what I love most about the DVD extras; I love the non-professionalism of them!!! The more loose the better. Everything else is so, literally, scripted, so sometimes you have to do things on the fly, indie style, no-budget, bad sound and all. If you want only crisp clear sound, you will lose the stress-free, off-guard talk you will get from friends chatting in their homes. For a film fan like me, fuck sound quality, I want to hear honest conversation, not sound bites. I am sorry to you it sounded drug-addled. It was friends being relaxed talking about a film they all love. Also, I think it is inspired that you reckon I sound like Narcolepsy. I take that as an emblematic compliment and is fitting for the conversation. Dude, relax, use your imagination, let things flow… like molasses… maybe hang with some drug-addled friends.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/feedback.php?ID=103&reviewID=14608
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14608
They conference in Van Sant to ask him questions about the film and to help them remember, which is a good thing, because LeRoy is the audio equivalent to sleeping pills. His feminine voice mumbles and flows like molasses, coming in at about half the volume of Caouette's. Several times I found myself blacking out and wondering what I missed. Connecting the film to the world it depicts is a worthy concept, but the execution falls a bit short here, in an audio track that's akin to a late-night bull session with your drug-addled friends.
Here is my response:
I read your review of 'My Own Private Idaho - Criterion Collection' and...
What you said about my contribution to the audio track wasn't quite fair, as Jonathan was in a studio and I was over the phone, connecting all the callers. And I think it is creatively very cool that Criterion would allow this, with obvious less then stellar audio standards. For me it is a relief to have a laid-back behind the scenes peek that these no-budget non-studio recorded extras provide. That is what I love most about the DVD extras; I love the non-professionalism of them!!! The more loose the better. Everything else is so, literally, scripted, so sometimes you have to do things on the fly, indie style, no-budget, bad sound and all. If you want only crisp clear sound, you will lose the stress-free, off-guard talk you will get from friends chatting in their homes. For a film fan like me, fuck sound quality, I want to hear honest conversation, not sound bites. I am sorry to you it sounded drug-addled. It was friends being relaxed talking about a film they all love. Also, I think it is inspired that you reckon I sound like Narcolepsy. I take that as an emblematic compliment and is fitting for the conversation. Dude, relax, use your imagination, let things flow… like molasses… maybe hang with some drug-addled friends.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/feedback.php?ID=103&reviewID=14608


<< Home