Saturday, March 05, 2005

From Director Jim Mol, About My Own Private Idaho DVD and Harold's End

In the DVD commentary track, I mostly remember you speaking about how IDAHO's characters and atmosphere was so familiar to stuff in your own life. You would ask Gus a lot of questions about the details in the movie, but like they were details in a documentary, cause the details were so vivid to you. It's such a non-pretentious approach to opening up "behind the scenes" introspection on a flick. Let's you know there are human beings behind the movie. Everybody talking has done their research, so to speak. I was glad you lasked Gus why there weren't drugs emphasized in the movie. He was like, been there, done that, from his last film, Drugstore Cowboy.

Oh man, I'm so blown away by HAROLD's END. Just read it this afternoon... It would make a terrific short film, I'm sure you've already been told. Or even a cartoon. No, fuck that, better a video home movie stye... the beauty would come from the actor (or non-actor's) faces! The story is so imagery driven, and the first person point of view creates a delicate portrait of his attitude, fragility, and basic needs.

Thanks for sharing! I'll write again to let you know how Underground screening goes...

jim