Sunday, October 30, 2005

From the mailbox

Sent : Sunday, October 23, 2005 8:44 PM
To : le_terminator22@hotmail.com
Subject : Stephen Beachy's article

Dear JT: I find it rather hard to believe that in Mr. Beachy's dealings with the prostitute's on Polk Street he never met anyone with a dissociative disorder.  His ramblings about not being able to understand the presentation of someone who is on the one hand shy and on the other hand talented indicate no knowledge of how anyone survives an abusive childhood. I am not sure where he was on Polk Street but whenever I have even walked up and down the street I have been able to recognize people who clearly have dissociative disorders. Perhaps he wasn't on the same Polk Street at all?   His theories are if you aren't babbling in a locked ward you didn't have a traumatic childhood.  If your history isn't congruent with what he insists are the facts then its all "made up".  Isn't that what every rape survivor, child abuse survivor and trauma victim deals with day in, day out?

I wonder how Beachy managed to persuade street hustlers to write if he could not relate to them in their "multiple identities" (the majority had to acquire them as a survival technique not a marketing idea) edit stories, relate to, or even understand any child prostitute if he didn't have a remote idea what dissociation is, how the phenomenon presents itself and how much back breaking, mind numbing, constant work it is to go beyond it.

Clearly J T. LeRoy's talents in wriitng and self promotion are just an outgrowth of the incredible work it was for him to simply survive the unspeakable ordeals of his childhood .  But then that wouldn't have occured to someone as concrete minded as Stephen Beachy who cannot conceive that someone can be both wounded and talented too.

Mary