Saturday, July 16, 2005

Photographer Marie Havens's new project

Dear Marie,
Hollllllleee shit. Very good to read this, puts things in perspective
for me. You are very brave and your work, your vision... your soul
will be a gift to us that need to know what is out there... and what
to do...
I am glad you are home safe.
Can you write something that I can post on my site or put on a site
and I can link?
It is service you are doing... you have purity of intent.
How hard it must be to come home...
Yours, JT

Hi jt,

I just returned from Hong Kong and Uganda, Africa -- my first day back here at work and I must admit -- things feel a bit strange, culture shock I suppose.

I had a brilliant time -- extremely life changing... by far the most intense trip of my life.

The affects of such an adventure have not even consumed my soul yet; I am sure I will have random bursts of emotions and tears for weeks to come... after all that I saw.

I took well over 3,0000 photographs and I'm hoping to have an exhibition of my work and eventually a book deal if I beg my old publisher... I think these are the best photographs that I've ever shot and powerful enough to show the world what I can do and especially how important the lives of these children are.

Uganda is extremely beautiful and green in terms of it's plethora of vegetation and plants; contrasting the slums, clay huts, poverty, and roaming animals. However, from the time I stepped off the plane, I felt ready to consume myself in Ugandan culture and I felt very comfortable even with brief moments of security concerns. The locals are so welcoming; the majority of my time was spent holding and photographing the children -- all extremely affected by the war, rebels, malaria, and AIDS. Their stories blew my mind.

One 6 year old child in particular was my little angel -- I found him in a dark little room, weighing only a mere 20 lbs. His body was covered with bed sores and his bones permanently formed into the fetal position from laying in one position for most of his short life, never being held or taken outside in sunlight. One night I confiscated him from his hut and rushed him to the local hospital hoping to save his life.

Within hours of holding, massaging, and touching him -- his body relaxed quite a bit and eventually he never took his eyes off me. He changed my life. I also saved alot of new-born kittens from their death, carrying them throughout the town on my shoulders... children would laugh and point -- not fully comprehending a human's desire to love and nurture an animal. I delivered some to the refugee camps, where I showed the children how to hold and stroke the little kittens... something so unfamiliar to them.> But, I think it did some good since they were just saved from "the bush" and were in quite a bit of shock.

There were hundreds of stories that I could share, and in time I suppose I will be able to... thank god that my photographs will one day speak for me. But, all sad tales aside -- I also went on my first African safari!! (of course, a dream of mine) -- having the opportunity to document elephants and monkeys up close!! I also bungee jumped over the Nile!! ... 150 feet high and shit, that was scary at first... but 1/2 way down I loved it!!

Well, jt -- I hope all is going well. Pls write soon -- would love to hear from you and all your brilliant stories that I love so dearly.



Hi jt,
Well, here's my initial post on Uganda -- the story of Dennis.
I wrote it up this morning.

also, I wanted you to know that Patrick McMullan just signed on as one of my contributors for the photo book...

----
Dennis
by Marie Havens
June 2005

This particular morning I awoke very early; I sprung up from the top shaky bunk - my temporary home for a few nights; my legs and arms twisted amongst a white mosquito net that had fallen from the ceiling - filled with half twitching mosquitoes and now intertwined around my body. I jumped abruptly down barefoot onto the cold cement floor; I had to piss like a mad man and our toilet had been permanently clogged for days. I hovered over the "black hole" while my toes played hide-'n-seek with the largest cockroaches I had ever seen. I was in Gulu, Africa for Christ-sake! and none of that was of any concern to me. Me, along with a group of film makers were there creating a film -- photographing, and documenting the daily lives of the "invisible children" - children who survived "the bush" and are now dwelling in refugee camps and those who make a nightly pilgrimage from their families and huts to escape the rebels - who come down from "the bush" to kill, kidnap, rape, and ultimately to instill fear and create a new network of adolescent soldiers.

I pulled up my slubby jeans and with sleep still in my eyes -- I grabbed my camera, met up with my cousin Jason, and headed next door to photograph a six-year boy named Dennis. Jumping over the muddy troft that lined their front yard and passing a multitude of lively goats picking at my back pockets -- I entered the extremely run down house who enlcosed at least fifteen family members; they immediately led me to a little dark room where Dennis lay motionless in a corner. I pulled back a piece of stained fabric which covered the one small window, allowing an intense surge of light to peer onto his lifeless body. I was finally able to see him - at least what was left of him - a young boy of mere skin and bones, naked, untouched, unloved, malnourished, never had spoken a single word in his lifetime, curled up with bones permanently formed into the fetal position, his entire backside and head covered with bed sores, overgrown fingernails, fingers kept in a tight fist, and laying on a pile of his piss and feces. His uncle informed us that he was apparently blind, perhaps dying of AIDS (which killed both his mother and father), "hated" the sun, and hadn't been moved or held for over a year. I rested my hand on his chest plate wanting to feel his heart beat and then lifted my camera and started to shoot. I continuously shot as he sucked his arm like a newborn craving to be breast fed and held. Occasionally his big, beautiful dark eyes peered directly into my camera as if he was completely aware and wanted me to save his life. I put down my camera, had a moment of silence, and asked the grandmother to allow me to help him for a day - take him to a hospital and make an attempt to save his life. His family agreed and I instantly knelt down besides him -- massaged his arms, carefully stretched out his legs and kissed him until I knew it was time.

Moments later we drove to a nearby hospital, met with the chief physician and showed him my photographs. He agreed to see Dennis immediately. Although their diagnoses and ability to treat patients like Dennis was extremely limited with the obvious lack of medical technology, they decalred that he surely wasn't blind and we obtained the necessary prescriptions to initially begin his healing process. We began to teach the family and especially his sister Sharon how to treat Dennis with massage therapy and to bring him out into the sun to feed and stimulate him. Within one day, he became more active -- rotating and focusing his eyes, opening his fingers, eating 4-6 liquid meals a day in the sunshine, and beginning to stretch his legs.

Sadly the next day I had to return to NYC - but a good friend of ours, Katie decided to stay in Gulu and watch over Dennis during his long needed recovery. It was extremely difficult for me to leave Africa, Dennis, and all the children who deeply impacted my life. I shot over 3,000 photographs and I am currently in the process of finding a publisher and eventually an exhibition space. Hopefully, through my documentation and constant devotion for humanitarian work -- this story will now touch the world and individuals who would have never known him or the tragic war that is slowly destroying the children of Uganda and other regions throughout Africa. That is now my responsibility, hopefully it will become others as well.

To contact Marie or to take part in the project, email: africafotobook@hotmail.com