Saturday, July 16, 2005

Peter, from the wonderful City Lights Bookstore, comments

wow. this is cool.

"I was very scared when he came to the set," she says. "I was scared every time I gave him a draft and scared every time he gave me notes; scared of his judgment and scared of betraying him. We had to get as much as we could right, and a lot of it was to do with the fact that I love JT truly as a friend. He's somebody who will be in my life for ever. It wouldn't have been the same film if we didn't trust each other."

when derrida came to city lights a few years ago we were talkin about translating text from foreign languages. he said its really impossible on some levels. but the best translation happens when a translator wants to please to author. wants to be true to their vision. something happens. its like magic. its not the same book, but carries an essence so strong that is might as well be.

meethinks asia wanted to do right. 2 be true. wanted to get the job done as well as possible. what more can a writer ask for?